My goal is to ensure that my clients are aware of all aspects of their desires and Estate Planning, comfortable with the process, and confident with me. These testimonials, many of them being confidential to the extent that even I am not privy to their identity, mean everything to me.
2nd Annual Womens’ Business Seminar
- John helped me teach an Ethical Wills course at Widener University’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. His preparation and presentation were excellent and he held the class’s attention for an hour and a half.
Widener University’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
- John B. Whalen, Jr., Esq., in an encore performance, kept the audience up to date, with “an informational presentation” deemed “Brilliant!” on the latest obstacles that women business owners face with their legacy and estate planning. A review of John’s presentation by a local business professor commented that he was “very educational – great presentation – walking around – great handout – made it easy to understand. In the words of another attendee, “I had been waiting two months to hear Mr. Whalen’s presentation and he didn’t disappoint! It was also observed that “he made it fun” and “John can’t be beat as a masterful representative of a real lawyer who shares his thinking, expertise, and ‘homey’ touch with all who hear and/or know him.
Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- For an on-line course, I appreciate having the outline closely follow the instructor’s speech, as was the case with this seminar.
- John was referred to me by a friend and came with high expectations. John not only met the expectations but exceeding them. I will pass forward John’s name to others because I am 100% confident in his abilities.
Anne and Norm
- There is not enough room in this review to list all of the dealings that we have had with John Whalen. He has been a friend of our family for 20+ years and as our life changed, John was the one that we turned to for Wills, Living Wills and Power of Attorney. He has conducted business at our mother’s bedside and in our Living Room. John is very professional and will give you the best answer possible for any question you may have. We have highly recommended John to several of our friends and will continue to do so in the future.
- Mr. Whalen helped me get out of an unhealthy living situation that involved a lease with a landlord. The landlord was not helpful or cooperative until Mr. Whalen stepped in and we did not even have to go to court.
- I have known John for twelve years, and during that time I have utilized his services on four occasions including probate and trust planning matters. He is extremely knowledgeable in matters of the law, and his attention to detail is second to none. My family and I have been truly pleased with his work, and would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone requiring his expertise; and, in fact, we have.
- John is the consummate professional. He is an expert in his field, and is someone with whom it is great to do business. He listens and comes up with solutions to meet your needs.
- I have found John to be very knowledgeable in the estate planning area that I hired him for. He is always available including nights, weekends, and holidays to answer questions and discuss issues. John listens to you and never makes you feel as though you are bothersome or asking dumb questions and he responds to your concerns directly. His services are reasonably priced and he is trustworthy and reliable in all that he has done for me. I would highly recommend him and the services he provides. He was an excellent find for the job I hired him for. No client will be disappointed.
- John is a very detail oriented person, loves helping people, and is a genuinely superb person. He has also always made himself available for questions concerning other things where his knowledge has been very helpful.
- I worked with John many years ago and as a very close friend he will guide you in the right direction and be there for you should you have any questions he will always give you an answer. My mom just had her will redone by John after having a bad experience with another Attorney. John did an excellent job and I would recommend him to anyone, as he’s very knowledgeable and is very trustworthy. My husband and I are getting our wills done as well.
- John was extremely helpful and caring in his response to my/our situation. He really listened and offered advice during our phone consultation and he made me laugh for the first time in awhile. Thank-you for that!
- When my father died I contacted John. I was in the most frantic state of my life. John gently went over the estate laws. He assured me that my family could not be put out on the street. He advised me step by step to a miraculous outcome. Everyone walked away happy and we didn’t get thrown out on the street. I suggest him to all my friends when they need legal assistance. In situations such as death you need someone who is sympathetic as well as knowledgeable. John has all of those qualities.
- John has been a Godsend to the family, handling a very emotionally-draining estate administration for a disabled surviving spouse. He has been extremely patient. He provides more than basic legal services; he’s been extremely helpful and super-patient, even providing a shoulder for her to cry on when the going gets extra tough, and can approach sometimes-difficult family members with apparent ease. John was the perfect selection for the family’s needs, and I would gladly recommend him.
- Mr. Whalen is extremely knowledgeable and takes as much time as needed to ensure that one understands what needs to be done.
- He completed our wills and power of attorney efficiently and effectively in a short period of time and we were able to settle our mother’s estate with no problems. We have recommended him to several friends.
- John is very responsive and answers calls in a timely manner. He is always professional and comforting.
- Mr. Whalen was sincerely caring and offered appropriate counsel. He made himself available outside of office hours during a trying time. I would recommend him to anyone without reservation.
- Mr. Whalen is trustworthy, responsive, knowledgeable, and more. Over the years I’ve learned that I have never been misled, sold a bill of goods, or placated by John. If he can’t solve a problem or answer a question, he says so. Or, will attempt to find the solution. Mr. Whalen has also been judicious with fees and is quite understanding in these economic times. Shakespeare was not referring to John when he made [his] infamous statement; on the contrary, John is the exception that proves the rule. John’s services were specifically related to Elder Law/Wills et al. The authorship John brings to his informed and up-to-date decision-making remains superior in this time of ever-changing Elder Law/Estates/Wills Probate.
- John and I met accidentally about four years ago, and what a great coincidence it turned out to be! John mentioned he handled estate planning amongst his other skills, and the timing of our initial conversation turned out perfect. He held my hand when needed (I’m not afraid to admit my ignorance of wills, estates, etc) and kept my confidence the entire process. He is sharp-witted and intelligent fellow, as his numerous awards and recognitions can testify to. It’s nice dealing with an attorney who is there for more than just business, John truly cares about his clientele and their estates. When I was already in a melancholy mood and dealing with grief and loss, John was a gentle voice of assistance. I am proud to call him a friend. I have recommended John to my entire family and many friends, and wish him well in his continued progress and successes. If your needs include will/probate/estate matters, call this fellow.
- We became acquainted with John a number of years ago when my father passed away and my brother and I became executors of my parents trusts. John worked closely with us through the whole legal process instructing, advising, helping with our questions and handling the necessary actions. He was always available on a moment notice. Subsequently with my mother’s passing another trust was set up for one of my sisters and the rest of the estate was distributed, again with John’s assistance and no problems. Having worked with and gotten to know John through all this we would not have expected anything but the best service and that is what we received. He is certainly knowledgeable, always available and proactive as necessary. Certainly John is a more than competent attorney but he is also a personable caring person, easy and comfortable to work with. We would recommend John to anyone without hesitation.
- John Whalen possesses all of the qualities that makes him the ‘go-to’ guy in business … he’s personable, patient, and knows his field better than any other attorney I’ve encountered. We have developed a healthy professional/friendly work environment, which is an extremely easy thing to do with John, and we have both benefitted from one another’s experience. I cannot recommend John Whalen enough for his expertise, class and the persona he radiates!
- John is well versed on the laws relating to wills and was very helpful in providing us guidance on how they should be written. I would highly recommend John, he was quick to respond to any questions and performed the work at a reasonable fee.
- John is an attorney with vast knowledge in the “Probate” area as well as being a detail oriented individual with high integrity.
- John Whalen is an excellent attorney. He has a strong work ethic and is extremely personable. I have enjoyed my experiences with John as a service provider on several occasions.
- When my mother passed away, I knew I would need an attorney to help probate the will and guide me through the maze of responsibilities I had as executrix. John is not only a skilled and knowledgeable attorney, he is also someone who can patiently explain complex and confusing legal issues in simple, easy-to-understand language that a layperson can understand. Best of all, John would meet with me regularly in my home, so I didn’t need to worry about traveling to an attorney’s office several times a month. And John is available 24/7 (many people might make this claim, but John really means it). I highly recommend John for anyone having to deal with estate issues, probates, wills, etc.
Estate Planning Client (1)
- Mr Whalen handled my mother’s estate almost 2 years ago. He was both ernest and forthright in direction and helped make, what could have been a nightmare, a very pleasant experience. I felt reassured and found a tremendous amount of mental peace.
Estate Planning Client (2)
- I used John’s experience to set up my will, power of attorney and living will and recently revising them after the passing of a loved one. He was very caring and understanding of my needs and was very helpful in offering suggestions in areas that I did not consider. The documents he produced for me were completed in a timely and professional manner. I would highly recommend John to all that need the services of an excellent estate attorney.
Estate Planning Client (3)
- John is one of the most level headed people I have met. He is very knowledgeable about his area of law, and can break it down to the most simple definitions, making it very easy to understand. He is patient and is always willing to answer any questions.
- Mr. Whalen has always treated my husband and I as if we were his only clients. He has shown both care and concern for our needs and as well as our family’s needs, but at the same time maintains a professional approach and manner.
- A great attorney, and so much more! I have yet to meet an attorney more dedicated to his clients. Mr. Whalen has not only advised me on issues related to unmarried couples, as a fellow blogger he has also advised me on copyright law. I have a child with special needs, and Mr. Whalen is very well versed in the specific issues we special needs parents must consider. I highly recommend him.
- I needed some last minute advice as my siblings and I were reaching the final stages of my parents estate settlement. Though the whole process had run fairly smoothly, the last details (especially after the house closed) got quite sticky. I approached John to discuss and he had answers and advice to me within hours. I have had a good amount of experience with attorneys over the years, both in my professional and personal life, but never had I experienced the level of concern and client service that I had in such a small window with John.
- John Whalen is the kind of attorney that everyone would want to have on their side. He took over my case when I was at the end of my rope with another attorney. I am extremely pleased with the way he has handled my case. I would highly recommend John Whalen.
- Attention to detail, responsiveness, great results. I don’t know what more you could ask for. John simply is tops.
- John helped us review, update and rewrite our Wills, Living Wills and Powers of Attorney. All of our meetings with John took place in our own home. John was a pleasant surprise from what we were expecting from an Estate Lawyer. He was unrushed, focused on our meetings, and spoke in layman’s terms. All of our questions were answered and supported by examples. He provided us with background literature, educational materials on our various topics and provided a written estimate of his services. His final product was provided in a timely manner at the agreed upon price.
- Labor omnia vincit’ – Hard work conquers all. I met John over 10 years ago as a client and I am proud to call him a friend. My occupation allows me to cross paths with attorneys on a daily basis and of the thousands I’ve encountered John is truly one of a kind. The first thing you will be impressed with is his dedication and professionalism. He always makes it appear that you are his only client. He is the only 24/7 attorney that I know. If you’re looking for an attorney with knowledge in will/probate/estate matters, John is the only attorney I would recommend. The most refreshing thing about John is after speaking with him not only do you have an answer to your question or directions to go in, you also have a better day because of his sincerity and attentiveness. I consider him a true friend and an extremely competent attorney. Give him a chance and he will prove himself more than willing and able to complete every task at hand.
- Mr. Whalen on two occasions gave guidance and prepared my living will, Power of Attorney and Last Will and Testament. He was always professional, competent, clear, and patient with my many questions.
- John B. Whalen, Jr., Esq. is dedicated to serving his clients with compassion and understanding. He is at the top of his field and always advancing with the most current Estate and Probate regulations. In a business that requires accurate interpretation and respectful sensitivity to emotions, you are in very good hands with John.
- John and I have had the privilege of not only being business colleagues, but personal friends. I have watched John work with many clients and have always been impressed with his ability to put clients at ease with his knowledge and attention to detail. John is very compassionate about his work, which, in turn, makes him very compassionate towards his clients. I have also had the pleasure of working with John on my own estate planning matters. I feel being a colleague of John’s is top notch, but having become personal friends through business with John is a privilege.
- John and I went to high school together; it’s no surprise to me that John is at the top of his game in PA Estate Planning, Estate Administration, Fiduciary Law Representation and Estate Taxation. John has a passion for law with a caring curve that surpasses the norm. He strives to educate the public on estate and taxation issues through his many appearances, his blogs, and social media, publications on the Martindale.com Legal Library, and in his publications in area business and legal journals. He provides consultations to his clients without obligation or charge! It’s unheard of today for an attorney to make a house call and consult evenings, weekends or holidays without charge. It’s not unheard of at John’s firm, it’s the norm. And, it takes as long as it takes. Ethics, commitment and a true caring focus on his client are what make him unique. To work with John would be an honor. If I ever relocated back to PA I’sd be knocking at his door!
- I had worked with John on a trust and he seemed to be very genuine and professional. I engaged him at a later date to prepare a Will for an elderly lady in an assisted living facility and he was kind, patient and professional in every way, and drafted a fine document.
- My interaction with John began when I was promoted to the Estates Department of the firm that John and I both worked at. I was new to the firm and field and Paralegal world. There are certain areas of estate law that, even as a fellow professional working in the field, can be intimidating. John created a learning environment that allowed me to participate, learn and feel valued to our clients simultaneously. When working in estate law, you are encountering your clients during a very sad time in their lives. It is important to make them feel safe, comforted and informed. I felt that John always provided this to our clients. His knowledge of estate law was precise, his interaction in the Elder Law Community was active and his professional contacts were always engaged in his practice, which added a personal touch to the interaction our clients received. If your looking for a dedicated Estate/Elder Law attorney, I highly recommend you reach out to John Whalen.
- Mr. Whalen is a very conscious attorney. He treats all of his clients like they are his friends and/or family when they are going through the loss of a loved one. He walks them through the process step-by-step and involves them along the way. He is very respectful of the clients and their time. He is organized and time-driven to a fault. He is an attorney with a heart and puts his clients and their needs above all else.
- The only thing I can say is, thank God for John!
- John has been extremely helpful both to the company and to the personal friends to whom I have recommended him. We have all been satisfied as to his work and his relationship to us all.
- John has a soft comforting demeanor that immediately puts you at ease. He is focused on doing the best for his clients and directing them the correct path to avoid problems in the future. I have and do highly recommend John to all.
Probate Client (1)
- I found John to be extremely helpful and forthcoming with his legal knowledge. He was willing to understand the issues and to give professional insight into possible options for a solution. Not only did he answer my questions on the legal advice site, but also followed through with a phone call. I would highly consider engaging this attorney if the eventual need arose. One has to “care” about the client, and “care” about the case in order to bring about the best solution; I believe John would do both. It is evident that he has a great love for the law, a wicked keen wit, and sense of humor to boot!
Probate Client (2)
- I have worked with John for approximately 7 months. I have found John to be very helpful and attentive. I have felt comfortable sharing things with John. John has been a great confidant in this matter.
- I found John to be thorough and personable in the work he did for me. I would recommend his services without hesitation.
- John Whalen is a wonderful caring dedicated supportive lawyer. He helped get my father the Medicaid benefits he deserved.
- I have known John for many, many years. Being an attorney takes not only a thorough understanding of the law, but a compassion for the people as well. John is the most knowledgeable and compassionate person and attorney that I know. I cannot state this any more clearly: If you are in need of the services from a probate, wills, estate attorney, then you need John. He truly is the best.
- John was easy to deal with. We worked with him on a rewrite of our will, living will, etc . He clearly explained the options, made recommendations, and delivered a high quality product when he said he would for the price that he gave us. He came to our home on our schedule. Very easy to deal with.
- John is an extremely knowledgeable Wills, Trusts and Estates attorney. He has always answered our questions, regarding our wills and living wills, in a way that makes us understand the legal issues at hand, while easing our fears and concerns. John also processes our annual income taxes. He is very efficient and reliable and we highly recommend him to all.
- John Whalen’s professionalism, dedication, and commitment to his clients is second to none. John is respected among his legal peers in Pennsylvania and I am proud to know him on a professional and personal level.
- I used John for setting up my will and power of attorney. I found him to be well informed and explained everything to me so I understood what I needed. He is also a lawyer for other of my family members and I feel I would go no where else for anything else legal that I needed.
- I needed a lawyer for my fathers estate, so I started looking on the internet. John was the 3rd that I contacted, and he spent 1.5 hours on phone with him for the initial contact. John visited me at my fathers home, and he explained everything in layman’s terms, just so I knew what I could be expecting in this process. I really liked John and asked if he would mind setting up a second interview so the rest of the family could have a chance to grill him, and of course, John accepted. John spent a total of 8 to 9 hours working with my family and me BEFORE we even signed a contract. What lawyer would do that in these times? I, [full name omitted], am proud to recommend John B. Whalen Jr to anyone needing his expertise. Thanks for reading this.
- Dealing with one’s mortality is never an easy subject to broach. John’s ability to zero in on what is important, while remaining compassionate and caring are attributes that hard to come by these days. He made the process light and very professional. When people ask me about writing a will, power’s of attorney or any general estate planning questions, I always refer them to John.
Wills Client (1)
- I didn’t have much information to provide to him, Mr. Whalen helped find out what I needed to know. He made me feel confident that my case would settle fairly, and did not succumb to the scare tactics of the other side. Considering what they did, brave is another adjective I would use to describe John!
Wills Client (2)
- John is simply terrific to work with. I needed to overhaul my estate planning in a relatively short amount of time and wasn’t sure where to start or what considerations needed to be made. John took as much time as I needed to explain the ins and outs, advantages and, disadvantages, and potential outcomes of the provisions I was considering. He is very easy to talk to and explains everything in a manner that is understandable. In addition, he is extremely flexible with his hours and will meet with his clients at any location convenient for them. This was a pleasant surprise.
Robert Adshead, Esq.
- I’ve been practicing law for 29 years. I recently needed legal representation in an estate matter, and I hired John. He got the job done in record time and was a pleasure to work with. He really knows his stuff. Don’t hesitate to hire him if you need the best estate attorney in Pennsylvania.
Tyler B. Christ, Esq.
- I endorse Attorney Whalen. His depth of knowledge and experience in the areas of estate planning, probate, and estate administration are truly reflected in his informative and insightful contributions to the Avvo community. His knowledge of the law of estates and the ever-important tax issues that accompany them are an invaluable asset to anyone interested in forming or altering an estate plan or responsible for administering the estate of another.
James P. Frederick, Esq.
- I endorse this lawyer. Attorney Whalen and I practice in the same areas of law, so I have had the privilege of reading numerous of his responses to Avvo questions. His answers are always correct on the law, thorough, practical and helpful. I have learned a great deal about Pennsylvania probate law from his answers, and I am happy to endorse Attorney Whalen and his services. The Avvo community is very fortunate that he is willing to volunteer his time and experience.
Steve J. Fromm, Esq.
- I have read many of John’s answers here at Avvo. He is very careful in his analysis, making sure he understands the facts and his opinions are well considered. These are the characteristics of a fine lawyer. I strongly endorse this lawyer.
Hugh Gillespie, Esq.
- John is a master of his craft. He has dedicated his practice to estate planning and probate and has a depth of knowledge in his field. I refer my complex estate planning clients to him. I frequently consult with him on issues that arise during probate for my clients and endorse John without reservation.
Det H. Joks, Esq.
- While working on a Trust and Estate Administration here in Miami, I sought out the help of an Estates Attorney to assist me with an ancillary estate in Pennsylvania. I was very fortunate to have come across John B. Whalen, Jr. His knowledge of estate, trust and tax matters relating to asset transfers at death in Pennsylvania made my life a whole lot easier. I would recommend him to anyone needing assistance in this area. He is a pleasure to with which to work.
Joseph M. Masiuk, Esq.
- I enthusiastically endorse this lawyer. Even though we practice in different locations in the Delaware Valley, I have followed his advice on Avvo for some time now. His advice has been incisive, practical, and to the point in this difficult field of estate practice
Scott P. Towers, Esq.
- I have known John to be a very intelligent, diligent, honest and articulate lawyer who has a wealth of knowledge and experience in his practice area. He has a great deal of common sense and the ability to discuss complex issues in simple terms. I endorse him with enthusiasm.
Eric Trajtenberg, Esq.
- When I was in law school, I was fortunate enough to land a summer job with a firm where Attorney Whalen worked as an Estate Planning attorney. During that Summer I helped Attorney Whalen with a variety of estate planning matters. Attorney Whalen supervised me, educated me, and became my mentor as I completed law school and entered the legal profession. During the Summer that I spent with Attorney Whalen, I was able to observe, first hand, the personal connection that he has with all of his clients and the close attention that he pays to their matters.
- I endorse this lawyer’s work. John knows the law inside and out. His work is in wills and estates, where he excels in his knowledge of the tax ramifications of planning and administration. This is very important because people’s fortunes are at stake. I depend on John for his advice, and you should too.
Karl P. Voigt IV, Esq.
- In the decades I have known John, I have never met another attorney more enthusiastically committed to his craft — both for his clients and as a thought-leader in his field. Where there’s a will … there’s a Whalen!”